Creative Producer Gary Feiner shares his tips on what photos to post to your Facebook and how to make them look amazing!
“A picture is worth a thousand words.” This old adage is still holding true, even on modern platforms like Facebook. Over 300 million photos are uploaded to Facebook every single day! How many words is that, you ask?
Yeah – I have no clue, I’m not a mathematician. But I do know that photos are the driving force of Facebook. With 2 billion active users, Facebook has secured itself as the go-to platform for visual content. Users want to see photos showcasing compelling content from brands they care about. Words alone just aren’t going to cut it anymore! Photos, videos, and GIFs are king and it’s what your followers are hungry for.
Here, I will show you some easy photography tips to turn your basic Facebook page into a friendly, delightful hub of happiness. Nowadays, anyone can be a photographer – all you need is an iPhone!
Pharmacist to Photographer…
- Use the Grid! Cropping can make or break a photo. But luckily for us, the iPhone comes with a handy-dandy “grid” to help you. Use this to center your pictures – or put your subject in one of the thirds! Placing the focal point into one of these thirds will keep people looking at your photos longer.
- Keep it horizontal! It seems a little counter-intuitive to the phone’s design, but horizontal photos tend to look better, and perform better on Facebook. Hint: The volume button doubles as a shutter button!
- Avoid Bright Windows! NEVER take a photo in front of a bright window. Ever. Ever ever ever. This will completely wash out your subject.
- But still light your subject! Light should always be facing the subject. Too much light behind a subject will make your subject look more like a shadow than a person. Light up those faces!
- Focus! When you have the camera open and facing your subject, tap on the subject. This will not only focus on the most important thing in your shot, but will also optimize exposure.
- Turn on your HDR. You can do this right in your camera! This is an easy way to make your photos look high-quality!
- Avoid using flash when possible. This can wash out your subject and make things appear ghostly. Sometimes, using flash might be necessary, but it should remain as a last resort.
- Use faces! Did you know we are hardwired to respond to faces? It’s literally in our DNA. From birth, our brains developed to always be looking for social cues by reading and analyzing human faces. With all the noise on social media, faces are a sure-fire way to capture attention immediately.
To sum it up…
We use social media as a tool for connections. And what’s the best way to connect with another person? Authenticity! Consumers crave authenticity from brands online. Photos of your staff, yourself, your patients, the people that make your pharmacy what it is. If you make the many faces of your pharmacy the focal point, you are bound to start making a presence in your community. Faces build trust and loyalty. So don’t be shy and get in front of that camera!